Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pier 1 is 1 short of a full deck...

What is happening to grammar and spelling these days?
(Notice the card/1 pun in the title.)
So I'm getting ready for a small fiesta we're throwing tomorrow, and I stroll on into Pier 1, looking for table runners and such. Little did I know I'd find something much better...

Can you believe it? "No peaking." Let's look up "peak," shall we?
–noun
1.the pointed top of a mountain or ridge.
2.a mountain with a pointed summit.
3.the pointed top of anything.
4.
the highest or most important point or level: the peak of her political career.
Etc., etc., etc. Clearly someone mistook peak for its homonym brother, "peek." Don't believe me? Let's take a closer look:


DON'T PEAK. You know, "peak" can also mean "to become weak, thin, and sickly." So, I guess it makes sense. Play cards, don't cheat, and don't become thin, weak, and sickly.
Sure.

1 comment:

  1. I just saw these cards tonight while last-minute gift shopping, and it practically took my breath away. I mean, really? Peaking? Don't peak? I really wanted to take it up to the desk and yell at someone, but I figured I'd be met with blank stares from some 16-year-old who had no clue what I was talking about, which would have just sent me over the edge. Instead, I called my mom, and we proceeded to have a good laugh/borderline cry about all the morons in the world. Sometimes it's truly a curse to be intelligent. Glad to know there's at least one more person who knows what's up!

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?