Saturday, March 13, 2010

Conquering Photoshop: Part One


Part One of Conquering Photoshop: The Photoshop Saga
(Or, My ill-fated attempt to make myself more tech-savvy than my dad.)

Because I dream of one day becoming involved in graphic design and/or advertising, my dad, the Mac nerd, encouraged me to learn how to use Photoshop (even though my version of Photoshop is old so when possible employers ask "Are you proficient in the latest version of Photoshop?" I can say, "Well, I'm sure it's pretty much the same as the one I learned. So sure."

Let me preface this with this fact: I know how to use Photoshop. I've been collage-ing and making cheesy birthday cards on Photoshop for years. But he meant learn how to legit use it, unlike my what-does-this-do-let's-try-it-whoopsie technique. So he ordered Adobe Photoshop CS one-on-one. It's a gigantic tutorial book with a corresponding CD. It got here a few days ago, and I've been stalling.

So today, I cracked it open. Popped in the CD (which made my computer groan like I had just assigned it a 5-paragraph King Lear essay). Installed all the crap, read the intro, watched the first lesson video.

Lesson 1, step 1: Choose File-->Browse. Ok, sure. File... browse.... crap. It "unexpectedly quits." ^$#*@%. No problem, no need to get discouraged, try again. File.... browse..... holyfreakingcrap. Quits again.
Try three more times.
Try not to scream.
Send a strongly worded email to my dad, bemoaning my luck and my freakingcomputer.
Tell him to FIX IT PLZZZ.

Realize it may have to do with that pesky little notice that appears each time I open Photoshop-- y'know, the one I always ignored?-- that says "One or more files in the Adobe Application Support folder, necessary for running Photoshop, are missing. Please run the Photoshop installer and re-install Photoshop."
Yea, that one. Damn it to hell. Of course it's that.

I'm finally ready, finally excited and prepared, and my computer just gives up. On lesson 1, step 1!

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?